A hush descended over the room.
That is the first line of all fiction and poetry submissions to The Speakeasy. Last week took us to many places: France, a cemetery, a solitary cabin in the woods, to name a few. Where will we go this week?
You all have done a fantastic job with the prompts and also with recruiting new writers to drink the moonshine with us here. Let’s keep up the good work on both accounts! I’m not psychic, but I can see a day in the future when our community rivals The Challenge grid in both numbers and in sheer awesomeness.
- your post must be dated February 3 or later
- while your entry is not about the photo prompt above, you must make some reference to it
- you must start your post with the first line our last winner, Suzanne, has provided. “A hush descended over the room.“
- the post must be fiction or poetry, including fictional accounts of true stories
- your post must be under or up to 1000 words
- badges for your post are found in the sidebar (over there to the right — aren’t they pretty?)
Flood’s note from Sunday bears repeating as these points are now and forever included in the FAQ of The Speakeasy, so here they are:
1. Do not write an introductory paragraph about what you are about to write. Your post should begin with your story or poem and if you have something to add outside of your story or poem, you can write a couple lines at the end of it.
2. Please do not submit to the speakeasy if you intend to showcase the same entry to another blog link-up. These posts will be deleted without notice. Choose the blogging community you want to write for each week and fulfill their guidelines. Trying to smash in many required elements from various link-ups rarely works. It’s better to narrow your focus to one. There will be no email about your entry if you do this. It will be quietly removed from the grid.
Remember these two new rules and don’t forget that our schedule has changed slightly, to sync up with our sister community, the yeah write challenge grid (all times are EST).
- The grid is open for submissions at 00:00, Tuesday. It closes at 23:59 on Wednesday night.
- Voting is open at 00:00, Thursday. It closes at 23:59 on Thursday night.
- The winner’s post will be live at 12:00 pm on Friday.
Rouge your knees and roll your stockings down and all that jazz because The Speakeasy is open for business.